Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Grassland Flowers 4: Trollius chinensis

I’ve introduced three widely spread grassland flower species in the previous posts. Which kind do you think is the most famous? It’s today’s Trollius chinensis. Does it look like gold lotus? Yes, its Chinese name is Golden Lotus. It is famous not only for its beauty, but also for that they can make popular health drinks. People put the dry flowers into hot water to drink like tea. Before I left Jixielinchang, I also bought a bag of it to my mother, who is suffering throat cancer. The grasslang deterioration and over-harvesting are threatening these flowers. Fortunately, they are protected in some places.

Family: Ranunculaceae
Genus: Trollius

Place: Moon Lake (map) reference: http://baike.baidu.com/view/36878.htm

1 comment:

  1. These really deserve the name "golden" as that is just what they look like. It is interesting to learn about the tea, I have never tried it myself although I do drink green tea when I go to a Chinese restuarant. This is a beautiful flower Mingfei.

    ReplyDelete